How do you define a classic?

Go down

How do you define a classic?

Post  Escobar 97™ on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Does it have to do anything new or revolutionize?

Like "Paid In Full", "Illmatic", or "Madvillainy".

Does it have to just be a great album?

Like many consider "Capital Punishment" or "Internal Affairs" a classic but it didn't really do anything New.

Or What?

Escobar 97™
Reg.

Lungs Eaten : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you define a classic?

Post  Bart on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Its rlly arguable as to what you can refer as classic. But I agree with what Rakim said on the song with Nas: "definition of classic is timeless". I think a real classic is an album that you can listen to again and again, you still like it after 5 yrs, after 10yrs etc. An album can be revolutionary but it doesnt make it a classic if none listens to it after 10yrs. A real classic is an album that doesnt lose on value as the time passes.

Let me name an example from another genre. Skrillex is revolutionary, I deeply dislike his music, but like it or not, he made a big change in mainstream music, before him this techno/electronic or whatever it is had barely any mainstream attention, now everyone knows it and hears it on radio. But ppl are already now getting bored with his music, so although his releases were revolutionary they werent classic. See what I mean?

Last edited by Bart on Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bart
Reg.

Lungs Eaten : 25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SnoopKnowsBest on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:31 pm

many people tend to interchange classic with excellent. I feel that maybe it's an album that has had a strong impact on hip hop because of it's originality and overall high quality.

SnoopKnowsBest
Reg.

Lungs Eaten : 17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  IceE on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Cosign bart and snoop
IceE
Admin

Lungs Eaten : 59

View user profile http://rhhsection.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mic Messiah on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:34 pm

It's a complex mathematical method I use nicknamed "Da Dopeness" after AAVE slang that oppressed black youth are so fond of using.

It's essentially multiplying the amount of times the artist says nigga with the amount of times they say bitch, divided by the amount of time they use any words over 3 syllables or any words that could be construed as "uplifting". After this, we take this number and again multiply it by the amount of "slang words", whether it be dropping the g's off the end of ing or using words like "foshizzle" or being Ghostface Killah. We then give negative marks for any multisyllabic, internal or anything that could be considered "complex rhyming" by HHNERD (our advesarys as their mathematic methods are in stark contrast of our own) to get our final dopeness score. Using this system, the greatest rippity-rap album of all time (or as those silly oppressed youth like to say, GOAT) would be Master P's masterpiece, MP Da Last Don. That is the epitome of, Da Dopeness.

Last edited by Mic Messiah on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

"I eat apple stew and stash an apple sandwhich 
And that fabulous leather coat is biohazardous"
Mic Messiah
Reg.

Lungs Eaten : 114

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Stoned_Penguins on Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:54 pm

In my opinion, a classic is defined by three criteria:

1. Musical advancement- Obviously, the greatest hip-hop albums are the ones that break new ground musically. That can be with production breakthroughs, lyrical advancement, etc.

2. 'Timeless' factor- How did the album effect and advance the hip-hop culture? Is it still relevant and revered?

3. Sonic excellence- Simply, is the album aesthetically beautiful and pleasuring? Does it grab you and trigger emotion? Those are things we look for in art, and I consider the third benchmark to be the most important. It is the aspect of art that connects with humans.

Most hip-hop classics exceed in all three categories, however, some only advance in two (Timeless and Sonic excellence). Some don't break new ground musically, but are revered in the community and are superb music. Laughing
Stoned_Penguins
Reg.

Lungs Eaten : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  annyrutts on Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:44 pm

Something that ages great. And every single song is dope

annyrutts
Reg.

Lungs Eaten : 1

View user profile